Saturday 11 April 2009

Is your Phone a Huge Frightening Monster?

Its one thing working for a corporation and talking to suppliers, customers, peers or colleagues on the phone, but when you have to do this for yourself! Thats another ball game. I remember my first follow up phone call to a potential customer of my new Nutritional Business many years back. I got so excited when I came home from my regular 9-5 job and checked my voicemail, and after a few weeks of nothing, there was this one message where a caller left her name and telephone number and wanted ME.... yes ME to get in touch with her as she was 'desperate' to lose some weight...

Well, I jumped for joy, hugged my kids and said this is it, mom's in business. I went to my home office and took out my 'script' of what I was going to say to her, and a note book to take some notes. I practiced my 'speil' and then when feeling confident picked up the phone. I dialed the first three numbers, then promptly hung up the phone. No, just one more practice required.... I went over my speech again and again, then told myself that I could do this... hands sweating I started to dial her number again, and at that point my son walked into my office, so I hung up.

He asked if I had succeeded in getting my first customer. I had to tell him, that I had not made the call yet. This was a whole hour of me being in my home office with the intention of calling. At that point my 11 year old son, said 'Mum, you have got to call her some time, you might as well get it over with now, otherwise you will never get customers'. I thought about what he had just said, and it hit me... he was absolutely right. So without further thought I picked up the phone, while he was standing there looking at me, and I spoke to my very first customer... I was as nervous as hell, but because my son was in front of me, I had to show him that his mum could do this and get her first customer.

What I found, was that as I began asking my potential customer more questions and interacting with her, I began to relax and enjoyed the conversation. I came off that phone and made my very first sale with my very first phone call.....

What did I learn from this? If a prospect calls you, or leaves their information with you to contact them, you are the one in control, it is not a 'cold call', so why be scared. Your prospect is waiting for you to call and give them additional information, they have already asked for this and are expecting it. So have no fear and go ahead and call.....

Colette Morris
See how I am now helping many others to be successful with their own home business visit me and leave your email an contact details at http://www.bewealthywithme.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you, leave me a comment.

ShareThis

Interesting Blogs to Visit